Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Thing #8

I don't know if there will be a wiki in my future educationally speaking. I've tried or been a part of 3 different wikis before, and I guess the people I'm trying to get to participate, just don't get why that is better than email.

I did notice that if when I first saw the opening page of a wiki, and it didn't seem to be well-organized or attractive, I went on to something else. Presentation is very important.

I loved the wiki that 3rd grade students made about going west. I loved history when I taught in the regular classroom, and it's a big part of studying your family history. I'm sure these 3rd graders could tell me all about what it was like to travel west in a covered wagon.

Mr. Lindsay's wiki was very cute and attractive. It's all about cute at the elementary level. Students definitely experienced a good writing experience posting to that wiki. I'm sure they couldn't wait to write.

I also searched for a wiki from an elementary music classroom, and I only found one. It needs a little more substance, but it is a beginning.

No comments:

background