Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thing #20

Google docs is a great tool. I used a calendar template to create a practice calendar for my upcoming December PTA program to share with the 4th grade teachers whose students are involved. I tried sending it to myself first, and it went to postini. I discovered how to upload it as a web page. I'll check that at school to see if it works.

I uploaded several other Word documents that a friend had given me. I'll try revising them to fit my purposes there. I also shared them with her. She will need a few lessons, but she will find this tool a great way to share the many files that she has.

It seems endless to me the capabilities this has. Not only could you save your files here so that you can access them from anywhere, but it would be so much easier to have others work with you on ideas. For example, instead of my friend, Darla, bringing her files to share with me on cd, she could just post them. This would have saved a cd, and storage space on my computer. Teachers could create lessons, presentations, calendars, anything....to share with others. Teachers are usually such givers anyway when it comes to teaching ideas.

If students had an email address as well, the teacher could post the assignment, the student could complete it, save it under a different name and sharing back. (I guess that's possible.)

I did upload another spreadsheet document that had lines drawn on it, and the lines didn't transfer.

2 comments:

Deryl said...

So are you ready for all our kids to have email addresses? We might be able to get them Gmail accounts.

Mrs. M said...

I think it has great possibilities, especially if I were still in the regular classroom. Post assignments, talk to them on an individual basis, many things.

background