Monday, November 24, 2008

Thing #22

I already have a Myspace Account and a Facebook account. I'm not sure if you can see those pages if you're not me, but if not, someone will let me know....

I have no clue why I first got the myspace account. Maybe a friend had one. I don't know, but I hardly ever look at it. My daughter had to help me with the background page, but now that I've done it on my own with my blog, I get that. Now that I've gone back to it. it's not very attractive, so when she gets home we're going to work on that. She's been on myspace for awhile now. She's about to be 25. I did notice how much she blogs on it with philosophical ideas, not just checking in on her friends, which is good, too. I've learned a lot about her thoughts by reading her blog. It's sometimes easier to write about it than talk about it. But then I think, she's spent that much time doing that? They must read each other's thoughts, because they comment back.

She finds pictures of friends she had as a child and it's interesting to see how they've changed, and how their parents have changed.

I had a young friend at school say, "You're ruining it for us!" meaning she likes it just being her age group. Another friend said that she had an agreement with her daughter that "they" would not be friends, but then she started noticing that her adult friends were her daughter's friends, so why not her? I guess it's all about personal "space."

I think I like Facebook better because it doesn't seem so cluttered and busy. I probably have more friends my age there as well. As soon as I joined, I found a friend from college and have since had lunch with him and his wife (went to college with her also.) A friend from high school who now lives in Arkansas found me as well, along with a teacher that formerly moved from Mesquite. It's delightful finding old friends and seeing how they and their families have changed. I really don't get all the little things people send you like flair, presents, buttons.....

It's good to be aware of what our students are doing and what it means. It's also helpful in teaching them to be smart and safe and to be aware that what they post can be found by the wrong people, or misinterpreted.

I can't think of an educational application for these sites, but I'm sure there probably is one I haven't thought of yet.

Teachers are already great collaborators. How far could they go with social networking?

4 comments:

Technological Dummy said...

Great blog. Taira has her own and helped her Mom figure things out too, but like you, I don't understand all the Flair, and so-and-so joined this group, do you want to join, etc. I'll just be content to message with the people I know on there. Funny thing is, my children's friends and exes are the ones asking me to join!
Also....I sent you an invite to join our collaborative doc. We'd love to have you with us on our adventure.

Deryl said...

I can see your MySpace page but not the Facebook page. You must have it some how blocked in its settings.

Mrs. M said...

I tried!!! I got myspace page to shoe up by allowing 18 years old and up to view it, which I didn't really want to do because who knows who is telling the truth. Didn't see that option on facebook....

Mrs. M said...

show...... duh.

background