Friday, November 14, 2008

Thing #21

Google Maps - I use them all the time for traveling from one place to another.

Google Earth - One of my favorites. I have located places where my Welsh ancestors have lived and used pushpins to mark those sights, comparing distance, topography, etc. Those Welsh ancestors migrated to Pennsylvania and I had all the important locations pinpointed before we took our summer trip to PA. Unfortunately, I think all of these things are saved on the computer you are working on and are not web-based and that computer was reimaged, and so I will have to do that all over.

I just read on one of my genealogy blogs that Google Earth has created a 3d version of Ancient Rome. Amazing!


Google Alerts - I use those, too, for genealogy searches. I receive one or more every day, and 99% of the time they are not useful. BUT, I once found a picture of my great uncle in his WWI uniform, which led me to his son, who lives in Irving, TX. From there I went to his house and scanned about 70 pictures. I went to a family reunion where I found more pictures, one of my grandmother as a baby, and an original letter from my gg grandfather who died at Port Hudson, LA, during the civil war at age 20. So I will always read them, and press delete if not needed.

igoogle - I have an igoogle home page with websites or information that I'm particularly interested, the weather, youtube, date & time, google reader. I also have a second tab with genealogy blogs on it. Don't use that as much now that I've discovered the google reader.

Picasa Web Album
- I uploaded some photos to this, but I think I like flickr better and don't really see the need to have pictures all over the place.
Carnton Plantation

No comments:

background